At Westmount Animal Clinic, laser surgery is our primary surgical method, which allows us to continue to provide high level of quality care that our clients have come to expect from us. We have been offering this progressive alternative since 2005 with tremendous results. We began using this alternative in order to provide less painful surgeries with faster healing times for our patients. The laser works by emitting an intense beam of light at a very high temperature that is able to vaporize the water in tissue. This process removes only a very small amount of supportive tissue when compared to conventional surgeries performed with a scalpel.
Benefits of laser surgery include:
- LESS PAIN – With the intense heat of the laser it is able to seal the nerve endings as it passes through the tissue. This results in your pet feeling less pain.
- LESS BLEEDING – As with the nerve endings the laser is able to seal very small blood vessels simply by passing over them. In conventional surgery the doctor would have to take time and go back and seal off those blood vessels and in many cases some are too small to be easily sealed. Thus laser surgery results in less bleeding and hence faster procedures.
- LESS SWELLING – Since the laser is an intense beam of light, and is the only thing that comes in contact with the tissue, it causes less irritation resulting in minimal swelling. This leads to a higher level of comfort after the surgery.
- EXTREME PRECISION – The thin precise nature of the laser beam allows our veterinarian to affect only the desired tissues and leave the surrounding tissue healthy and untouched.
- REDUCED RISK OF INFECTION – The intense heat of the laser is able to kill bacteria and other microbes on contact, therefore reducing the chance of infection.
- QUICKER RECOVERY – For all the reasons listed above, the patient is likely to feel less discomfort and return to their normal lifestyle sooner. This is probably the most evident and overall beneficial reason for the pet owner.
Recommended Procedures for Laser Surgery:
The surgical laser shows definite benefits for most surgical procedures including cyst removal, spays, neuters, declawing, tumor & skin tag removal, soft palate procedures, gingival and dental surgery …………… and much more.
If you feel that laser surgery is something that may be beneficial to your pet please call the clinic and any of our staff members would be happy to answer all your additional questions or to set up an appointment for you.